University of Port Harcourt
The University of Port Harcourt was established in 1975 as a College of the University of Lagos and gained full autonomous status in 1977. The University is a Centre of Academic Excellence with a mandate to provide qualitative and research oriented education in the Niger Delta region and Nigeria at large.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
- The post of Vice-Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt will become vacant in July 2020. Pursuant to the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993 as amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act No. I of 2007, the Governing Council of the University of Port Harcourt invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacancy.
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive, Financial and Academic Officer of the University and the Chairman of many statutory bodies
- He / she is also a member of the Governing Council, responsible to Council on matters of policy implementation in the areas of finance, property / facilities, general administration and good governance of the University
- The right candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven, experienced and successful Manager of human and material resources, with excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal relations and team spirit.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be not more than 65 years as at the date of assumption of duty as Vice- Chancellor;
- Be a highly distinguished academic of the rank of Professor, with ability to provide quality academic and administrative leadership.
- Be a scholar who is well-grounded in the finest academic tradition;
- Have a high reputation and be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities through his / her track record;
- Provide administrative leadership to a well-informed and articulate local academic community;
- Possess the ability to sustain harmony between Council, Administration, Staff and Students on the one hand, and between the University and the host communities on the other hand;
- Be a very resourceful personality with initiative, vision and drive for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University, even under financial and other challenging constraints;
- Be a person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills, and who appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge ecosystem;
- Be a person of high probity and personal integrity;
- Be someone who appreciates, respects and promotes merit without fear or favour even under pressure; and
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health, and be prepared to work under considerable pressure.
Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a Vice-Chancellor in all Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined by the Federal Government / the Governing Council of the University of Port Harcourt from time to time.
Application Closing Date
21st February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications, which should be made in 30 copies, including detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated by the candidate. Each Curriculum Vitae must include the Names and Addresses of three Referees.
All Applications should be under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
University of Port Harcourt
P.M.B. 5323 Choba,
- Each applicant should request each of his / her Referees to forward direct to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, a “Confidential Report” in properly sealed envelope marked: “Referee Report” with the name of the candidate at the top left hand corner of the envelope by Courier Mail to the address above.
- In the case of a candidate identified and nominated by the “Search Team”, each Application must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate and posted via courier mail to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, University of Port Harcourt.
- The sealed envelopes containing the applications / nominations should be marked “Vice-Chancellor” at the top left hand corner and forwarded in time to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council, by Courier Mail, not later than the deadline above
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview under the auspices of the Governing Council of the University.