BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator, Spotlight Initiative
Job ID: 28700
Practice Area – Job Family
Management – Programme
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Violence against women and girls (VAWG) is one of the most widespread, persistent and devastating human rights violations in the world today and is a major obstacle to the fulfilment of women’s and girls’ human rights and development and therefore a threat to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. In Nigeria, gender-based violence is widespread, and 30 percent of women aged 15-49 have reported experiences of sexual abuse. Nigeria also has high prevalence of harmful practices such as child marriage (currently, 43 percent of girls are married before age 18) and female genital mutilation (FGM), reported at 25 percent prevalence.
In response to this situation, the United Nations (UN) in partnership with the European Union (EU) are embarking on a global, multi-year initiative focused on eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) – the Spotlight Initiative. The initiative will deploy targeted, large-scale investments in a focused number of countries, including Nigeria, aimed at achieving significant impact in the lives of women and girls.
The Initiative will ensure that all women and girls benefit from adequate legislation and policies, gender responsive institutions, violence prevention programmes, essential services, comparable and reliable data, and strong women’s movements and civil society organizations. In Nigeria, the United Nations and its partners have developed a comprehensive Country Programme based on t key six programmatic pillars:
- Laws and Policies;
- Prevention and Social Norms;
- Data; and
- Women’s movement.
In Nigeria, the programme will specifically focus on prevention efforts, particularly addressing the root causes of gender-based violence and harmful practices (child marriage and FGM) against women and girls; and ensuring access to inclusive, timely, and quality services for victims and survivors.
As this is a large, multi-stakeholder, multi-year project, a full-time dedicated team is required to implement the programme. The United Nations Country Team in Nigeria is therefore seeking a Programme Coordinator to be imbedded at the Resident Coordinator’s Office to oversee harmonization and coordination of the programme components for results.
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Coordinator, the direct supervision of the UN Head of the Resident Coordinator’s Office, and in consultation with the participatingUN agencies, the Programme Coordinator provides support to the Resident Coordinator to oversee and coordinate the Spotlight Initiative implementation by RUNOs. That includes planning; overseeing implementation, supporting RUNOs to stay on track with their agreed deliverable and budgets; guiding communication and visibility; promoting agencies’ leadership to advance programme elements; convening the National Steering Committee; ensuring a joint monitoring of the joint workplan; serving as secretariat to the National Steering Committee; ensuring adequate flow of information to all RUNOs; ensuring a joint narrative of results between all implementation components of the programme as well as consolidating reporting according to timelines.
The Programme Coordinator will oversee the SI coordination team and work in close collaboration with the Technical Coherence specialists in the lead agencies the agencies who will advise on technical coherence of this programme, as well as assist other SI staff and RUNOs to perform the role assigned to them under the Spotlight Initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate the implementation and management of the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria:
- Work closely with different RUNOs to ensure a coordinated, well-functioning and aligned presence of the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria;
- Work closely with the RUNOs to support the RC in overseeing implementation, schedules, deliverables and budgets as articulated in the programme document and liaise with the Spotlight Secretariat when programme revisions are foreseen;
- Ensure the programme is implemented in compliance with the approved document and in collaboration with RUNOs, Implementing Partners and the National Steering Committee (NSC);
- Provide strategic support to achieve programme outcomes, consolidate AWP, budgets and reports;
- Lead the development of system and processes necessary for the tracking, planning and execution of all programme activities and programme-related governance structures;
- Oversee the monitoring of the programme implementation at all stages, with particular an special attention to the analysis of risks and other difficulties, initiate remedial actions when necessary;
- Support UN Women to facilitate the Mid-Term Review, periodic evaluations and the independent final Evaluation;
- Provide support, coordinate the convening, and act as the Secretary to the National Steering Committee; the Civil Society Reference Group and the Technical Committee prepare working documents for discussion at CLSC and ATG meetings;
- Ensure the timely preparation of joint substantive, financial and other project reports stipulated in the Programming Document for their submission to MDTF and the EU and the annual workplan including the financing required; (Steering Committee).
Facilitate technical assistance, programme development advisory services, and capacity development to the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria:
- Oversee the technical coherence through the supporting the SI Technical Coherence Staff and link to SI implementation approach and strategy
- Ensure the programme team draws from the relevant experts in the agencies to support programme implementation and results
- Facilitate the joint delivery of results by the different RUNOs that will reduce transactional costs, duplication and build economies of scale
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders to gather inputs on the programme design, as necessary
- Prepare and provide guidance for staff and implementing partners on RBM and performance indicators including the Spotlight Initiative implementation strategy focusing on outputs and outcomes
- Provide reports to and advise the Resident Coordinator on programme performance and results;
- Coordinate with all key partners including the UN, government, donor and civil society to ensure harmonization of SI interventions with other efforts particularly on capacity-building and technical assistance
Manage human and financial resources of the Spotlight Initiative programme:
- Manage the RCO allocated Programme Management Unit (PMU) budget and finalize financial reports from RCO’s allocated budget and provide relevant support to RUNOs in consolidation of their plans and reports
- Oversee the work of other members of the Spotlight PMU team, via mentoring and effective supervision of their work
Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Lead and manage advocacy and communication efforts (in collaboration with RUNOs and UNCG);
- Represent the Spotlight Initiative in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to Spotlight programmes;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Lead the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies and products on Spotlight Initiative programmes with input from thematic experts from the agencies.
- Lead the development of a joint resource mobilization and sustainability strategy in coordination with the RCO Partnership Officer; Head of RCO and RC and UNCT
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work : Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Ability to persuade others to follow: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP FOR LATEST JOBS UPDATES
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform : Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Technical / Functional:
Management and Coordination:
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration.
- Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
- Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
- Ability to make decisions that align with strategy, vision, and mission:
- Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships:
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources (definition is unclear and not well linked to the stated competency)
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Knowledge of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) policy and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations:
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender / Women’s Studies, International Development, or a related field is required
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the international or national level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Proven experience in coordinating and liaising with government agencies and civil society;
- A project / programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- Technical experience in EVAW or SGVBV is a strong asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading / managing a team is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge in of the Africa especially West Africa region is asset
- Working knowledge of other UN languages desirable
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process
- Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.